A.k.a. Ga Rang Gang. / Ga Kho Gung
It has taken me a while to achieve this, the perfect recipe. It’s easy to cook and has the authentic taste of the very best chicken and ginger dish I ate in Vietnam. For the record it was a draw between was a small family restaurant in district 3. HCMC and another in Hoi An. If you want a posh version, use skinless, boneless chicken breasts, but it won’t have the same depth of flavor.
4 chicken legs (jointed into two pieces each).
1 large onion – thinly sliced or finely diced
4 cloves garlic – very thinly sliced
7-8 cm ginger root – sliced then sliced again until matchsticks
3tbs vegetable oil
6tbs fish sauce
Pinch black pepper
Optional – red chili, made into a flower for garnish
- Heat oil in a wok on high for 30secs, then turn down to medium and stir fry onion, garlic, ginger until browned. Remove.
- Stir fry the chicken pieces a few at a time until very brown (approx 10mins).
- Sprinkle chicken with both sugar and pepper and mix well. Add back the onion garlic ginger mix.
- Cover the pan and cook over a low heat, with the lid on, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking until chicken is tender and cooked through (about 10 minutes)
- Add the fish sauce and a splash of water and mix well. Increase heat to medium. Cook and stir until sauce thickens slightly and chicken is coated.
Serve…….in a separate bowl. If you want to be authentic sit a chili flower on top!
Goes well with……Steamed rice and broccoli florets
Freeze……perfectly acceptable to freeze extra portions once cooked.
To make the chilli flower……cut a long thin red chili lengthwise, starting 1cm from stem end into 6 or 8 petals. Discard the seeds. Place the chili into a small bowl with iced water and cover with ice. Refrigerate for 1 hour.